Monday, January 14, 2008

She should be selling used cars

I had to wake up bright and early this morning on account of the horrible thing that we people in the teaching business call morning duty. I find it very fitting that the word duty sounds like doodie, because, well, morning duty stinks a lot like real doodie.

Since I had to be at work early for stink duty I was trying to hurry the girls along. That was rather difficult to do with Brookie bent over the toilet heaving. She had been sick since last Friday, but she seemed better on Sunday. I was worried and thought I should stay home with her, but Dave said that it was just sinus drainage and that she needed to go. So I brought her crackers and sprite and her clothes and she got dressed in the bathroom.


When we got to school I went to the gym for morning duty and Brookie went to my classroom to spend some quality time with my trash can...lots of quality time. The two should be quite close now because when duty was over she was still bent over it. And when my first group ended she was still bent over it. I probably need to get them BFF necklaces because when my second, third and fourth groups were over she was still bent over it. I decided enough was enough. She needed to go home.


So I called her dad and he said that was nonsense. That I didn't need to miss work. She'd be fine. I explained that she was feeling terrible and heaving so much her tummy was hurting. He said she seemed fine yesterday when she was playing with her cousins (who were visiting from out of state) and to tell her to suck it up and go to class.


He can be a tough dad. I tried to talk to her about trying going to class, but it's rather hard to talk to someone with their head in a can. So I made an executive decision, took the day off and brought her home. Afterall I am the mom and am the one equipped with motherly insticts. She was obviously sick and the man had no idea what he was talking about.


Once I informed all the teachers that I was leaving so they wouldn't send students to my room I took Brooklyn home and put her to bed. I was a little nervous about making my own decision when her father had suggested something else, but I kept reminding myself that I knew better than he what was best for her.


I checked on her often and clearly the child was on her death bed.



The first time I peeked in on her she was in a pair of my heels. Clearly she was very sick. Everyone knows that dressing up makes you feel better. The poor dear was taking it upon herself to force herself to get better.



And apparently Madame was feeling poorly too because she dressed her up as well.




She even tried that age old method of 'feeding her cold'. Oh yes, she was a very sick girl.

And finally I found her in some kind of ritual with her Barbie. They used a fiber optic light to take the place of fire. I'm guessing she was praying to God for forgiveness for exaggerating her illness and making a fool of her gullible, soft hearted mama.


I really hate it when he's right.

14 comments:

John Deere Mom said...

Too funny! Moms always know what's best. Your little girl just needed some quiet time in her familiar room to recoup...right?! Sounds good, anyway. :)

Momofthree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momofthree said...

Take off, or not take off...that is the million dollar question!!

Don't you hate it when it works out that like? Back in December when I had my week from 'Not-Heaven' I did the same thing. I took the afternoon off to be with 'D' while he was sick. The kid never threw up the entire afternoon. That was a 1/2 day of sick-leave WASTED! A 1/2 day of personal leave is much better than using a 1/2 day of SICK LEAVE!!!

Glad Brooklyn is better! If you need me to cover the lovely gym duty for you in the morning, just call me and I can have my kids dropped off at JoyfulJourney's at 7:30 and be in gym by 7:35.

Anonymous said...

So...Dave hasn't changed...don't you HATE IT when he is right?!? I even fell for her being sick! I guess I'm losing my touch!

Terry said...

Hi Christy,
I read about you over at in_spired's blog. I thought your title was so cute that I'd come over here and check you out. You are a clever writer, just like she said.

I love the pics of your beautiful, tricky daughter. :)

My hubby is a teacher too and he's in his last semester of grad school to become a principal. I wonder if he'll be so strict about the kiddos staying home sick...

Christy said...

Angie- Hey, you are right! It wasn't a mistake to bring her home. I actually healed her! Good point. I knew I liked you.

momofthree- Thank you so much for the offer! I'll be there though. If she's sick again superdad gets to stay home (oh I do crack myself up with these crazy jokes).

RDavis- oh he'll never change and he'd never admit it if he wasn't right anyway, so I rarely bother to argue!!

terry- thanks for stopping by. You are too sweet!

Jax said...

You are better then me...I would of just posted her being sick...and not put the evidence on my blog via digital pictures....Hope she is better tho!

Anonymous said...

In her defense, I have to say that I noticed her cheeks looked a bit flushed (or was that makeup?!)

Christy said...

jax- she actually was sick. She rean a 102 temp most of the weekend and when I brought her home she did lay around for a few hours. I just finally gave her some medication that actually helped (I'd tried several things). Then she started feeling better and I played around with it for the blog. I don't think she'd ever lie on purpose about being sick (not yet anyway).

Half-past kissin' time- no make-up. She was still flushed. She had been pretty sick and then suddenly starting bouncing back. I am just happy she's feeling better.

Tammie said...

That's a huge barbie! I was sooo deprived as a child.

I remember faking a toothache at school once and after a dentist visit my mom almost walloped me. tehehe

Jax said...

Oh no! I wasn't meaning she was faking...I was talking about posting the pictures making David more right....I would of gone great lengths to bribe her to act like she felt bad when he got home just to be right...lmao but of course that could be why I have a failed marriage under my belt or two! hehehehe

Marty Devine said...

Silly Mommy! Chips are for sick kids!

Jackie said...

MoaWLD: This is one of the cutest posts you've done!! The pictures are priceless! I agree....B would make a GREAT used car salesman!!

joyfuljourney said...

I'm surprised the dad didn't say "Rub dirt on it!" Isn't that what all dads/coaches/former jocks say? It's the cure-all!