Saturday, January 26, 2008

May I have a redo?

Lauren had to be at school at 7:50 this morning to catch the bus for a basketball tournament. I got up. I woke her up. She got ready. I got ready (by getting ready I mean putting a jacket over my pjs). I went to get my keys. My keys weren't there. I freaked.

I lost my keys!

I never lose my keys. I have lost my shopping list, my mind and even my boobs ability to defy gravity, but not my keys. I was frantic. I didn't want to her miss the bus and get in trouble. I dumped the contents of my purse out all over the table, looked all around the house and finally found them in the car.

We rushed to the school just in time to see the bus driving by a block away. We sat there a moment and tried to decide what to do. I was worried that she would get in trouble if she didn't go to the basketball tournament (she doesn't play, she's just a manager), but I still feared a punishment if she didn't honor a commitment. She was worried about her co-manager having to go to the tournament alone. So we decided she should go. There was a tiny problem though. The tournament was over an hour away and the bus was gone. There was only one thing we could do.

We chased the bus.

We finally caught up with them several miles down the highway (after driving way too fast) and Lauren leaned out the window and waved them down as we drove up beside them.

It was like one of those mommy nightmares...no make-up...in pajamas...hair doing a classy tumbleweed impersonation and letting my child out on the side of the highway while thirty teens looked on.

She had to be so proud. Now if you'll excuse me I need to buy her something cool enough that it will make up for humiliating her.

Do they sell ponies on ebay?

4 comments:

Jax said...

Well atleast she went, even if you weren't so fashionable during her fashionably late entry...onto a bus....full of her peers....It could of been worse, you could of gotten pulled over while driving so fast trying to catch the bus.

Anonymous said...

JUST a manager...manager's have their own unique job that are VERY important to the team...but, I know that you already know that! :) Tell Lauren I am proud of her for her grand entry!

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing they do sell ponies on ebay. But this way she got to tell everyone on the bus about how her mom made her late! And this sounds like something out of a 'Smokey and the Bandit' movie. lol

...and speaking of being late (cough) I'm still waiting for you to put in an appearance. (cough,cough)

Sharon said...

That was a dedicated mom thing to do. As long as you didn't get out of the car and walk her to the bus door.....