Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad

I used to believe that I was born with twelve toes. My dad convinced me that a shark bit off my two extra toes and boy was I grateful to that shark! I am not even sure at what point I figured out the truth (I am seriously gullible).

The same ornery man convinced my brother, sister and me that a cocklebur was a porcupine egg. Oh how we tried to hatch that little bur. We put it in the windowsill to make sure it stayed extra warm and checked on it several times a day. We really wanted that baby porcupine!! One day we came in off the bus after school and all three of us ran to check on our porcupine egg and it was gone. Gasp! Immediately we all screamed (I'm the oldest, blame me) and jumped on the couch. I guess after a little thought we decided a porcupine on the loose was a bad idea. We stayed on that couch for hours until my parents got home. When they finally arrived mom confessed that she'd thrown it away because she was tired of having it in her window and that it was not really a porcupine egg. Dad didn't say much. He was too busy laughing.

My sixteenth birthday came and went without a driving test taking place. I had a car. I was just a chicken. I just knew as soon as I got my licsense I'd run over some innocent kitten. or puppy. or person. An entire year went by without me taking my driving test. An entire year! I don't know what to say about that. I was just a terribly shy and really pretty insecure girl. Well I'll never forget the day my dad showed up without warning and checked me out of school. I assumed at first my sister was hurt so I rushed to the office when they called for me (those kind of calls were pretty frequent and my biggest fear in life). But it wasn't my sister this time, it was my driving test. Both relief and dread flooded me in pretty near equal doses. I really didn't want to take my driving test. But I did take it and I passed and when I was fixin' to get my very first license picture taken my dad told me I had to take my ponytail down. He said they didn't allow them in the pictures. This was in 1990. I had tons of hairspray in my hair. I was horrified. My hair stayed up in some funky white girl impersonation of Don King . It was about six months later that my best friend took her driving test with HER PONYTAIL IN that I realized I'd been fooled and fooled good.

I could tell endless stories about my dad's mischievous side, but I could also tell endless stories about what an awesome, loving man he is and how he is always there for his family. He is the BEST.

Happy birthday Poopsie!!! We love you.

8 comments:

Jax said...

Happy Birthday Uncle Jerry!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I admire your dad for the after-Thanksgiving Day shopping that he does with you!?! How many men are brave enough to get out that day AND truly enjoy it? He has made up for all of his pranks!

Terry said...

I love practical jokes! Happy Birthday Christy's Dad! I am with your mom, I wouldn't decorate my living room with a porcupine egg either. Wow, I couldn't get my license soon enough when I was 16. My hubby's sister is about to graduate from college at age 22 and still no license. You have a good and fun dad.

Llama Momma said...

Poopsie? You call your dad Poopsie?

Tammie said...

I guess poopsie is pay-back for all the tricks, right? Or, with his personality maybe it was a personal request!!!

Now, I see where you get it! And 'it' is a huge part of you that I love.

Jackie said...

Poopsie!

Love it!

Christy said...

rdavis-you are so right...getting up at four in the morning the day after thanksgiving year after year shows how awesome he is.

terry- yes he really is a good dad.

llama momma- Well my kids call him Poopsie. That is a long story. I'll have to post about it.

tammie- it was my MOM's choice!!

inspired- oh the looks that name has earned.

Sharon said...

Your dad sounds like a wonderful man!
The porcupine egg ting is funny. I really dislike those things. They are soooo hard to get out of horses tails and dog fur.

Can't wait to hear how the "poopsie" came about!