Friday, January 18, 2008

Poopsie

I promised to tell the story of how my father came to be known as 'Poopsie'...the Poopster...the Grand Poopah...okay, okay we just call him Poopsie, and really I think that is enough. Don't you?

When I was pregnant with Lauren my mom picked out the names Mumsie and Poopsie for the grandnames. She thought the names were adorable. Dave thought they were ridiculous...especially the Poopsie. He protested immediately. My mom didn't really care what he thought (she rarely does) and she stuck to her guns.

So did Dave.

As the months of my pregnancy flew by (as fast as bleeding, pre-eclempsia and bed rest can fly by) it became clear that neither of them were going to agree on a grandname for my dad. Dave was determined that he be called Papaw and mom was sticking with Poopsie. Eventually they decided that whichever name she said first was going to be the name we used.

When Lauren was born they each used the names they had chosen. They used them a lot...a whole bunch of A LOT. The day finally came that she finally called my dad by a name.

Poopsie.

But Dave had the last laugh. As it turns out young children can't say Poopsie very well. Lauren couldn't. Brooklyn couldn't. Tre couldn't. Instead what they said was Poosie.

I'll just let that sink in for a minute.

Everybody on the same page now? That's right. I said Poosie as in poooseee. It really wasn't as fun or cute as it might sound. It was actually awkward and blush inspiring. Especially for my mom because she is the one that insisted on the name. I could tell countless stories about the embarrassment this name caused or about the fun my uncle had telling the kids to say Daddy loves Poopsie (yeah, I come from some up-town folk), but I will limit it to one story.

When Lauren was about 18 months old my dad was taking up offering at church and we were all sitting towards the back of the sanctuary. Lauren really wanted to go with my dad, but of course she couldn't. Her little lip quivered for a bit...waiting just long enough for him to get to the very front of the church and then she stood on the pew and said, 'Pooooossssiiiieeee....I want my Poooossssiiieeee'. Well everyone and I do mean everyone sorta gasped together and turned to look at her/us. Then my mom stands up and announces very loudly, "She is saying Poopsie everybody...she is saying POOPSIE." I wanted to crawl under my seat and hide until everyone left.

Good times. Good times.

And now you know how my Dad ended up named not only after a bodily function, but at times after a body part as well.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Poopsie"??? What was your mother thinking? I know it's a term of endearment but wow, Irwin would KILL me if I had a grandchild call him that. Not that my children are doing anything about giving me some. *sigh*

What was wrong with Grandpa or Gramps (or even Pawpaw)? shh, don't tell Dave! Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Jax said...

Thats hilarious...I can see your mom jumping up to defend Ms. Lauren! It's by far the best grandpa name out there...I wanted Braxton to call Michael Pappi but everyone else referred to him as paw paw....Braxton being the king of his own words calls him Bop-paw...but his speech has improved so much since starting daycare he now calls me Mama instead of MomMom (which I love so much)So I am sure Michael will be paw-paw soon =( lol

Jackie said...

It continually amazes me at what an entertaining writer you are! This is priceless!

Reminds me of our friends. She wanted to be called 'mimi'. Her husband said..."you can be called mimi if you like but I'll be "d-----" if I'm going to be called 'peepee'!

Llama Momma said...

Oh. My.

Motherhood has it's moments, doesn't it?

Christy said...

carol- she was thinking it was cute. Silly mom. My dad was a really good sport about it. He did turn bright red a few hundred times when the grandkiddos said it the wrong way out in public though.

I LOVE gramps. It's my favorite grandpa name.

jax- He stopped calling you MomMom? Awww. I am sad sometimes that Brooklyn rarely mispronounces words anymore. It makes me want another baby.

inspired- peepee...that made me laugh so hard. I can just imagine the looks THAT would get. Poopsie doesn't bother any of us anymore. It's just what my dad is...a Poopsie...adorable and endearing.

llama Mama- Oh yes it does and I hope I didn't offend you or any other readers with my recounting of my children's speech development.

John Deere Mom said...

I was reading this but didn't quite get to the heart of the matter until I started repeating Poosie out loud over and over and my husband was rather curious as to what I was looking at on the Internet as I was chanting Poosie...try explaining that one!

Sharon said...

That is too funny! Thanks for sharing. I love reading about what little ones say.

elaine said...

I am 73 years old and Poopsie has been my nickname since birth. I hated it --tried to hide it---But now I kinda like it because it does get attention. I have written a childrens book --and wonder if I should use my name or Miss Poopsie as the author?? What do you think?

Christy said...

Elaine,
I think that would be wonderful! It would catch the reader's attention for sure and it's not just some ploy by you, it really is your nickname. The kids would love it!

Good luck with your book!