Monday, May 19, 2008

quick update

Hello internets! Whew. What a day. It was by far the easiest testing schedule that Lauren will have all week. All we had to do was some blood tests, start a 24 hour urine, and get a PICC line put in. Everything went beautifully when they put in the PICC line. It seemed almost too good to be true and of course, it was.

About 45 minutes after they put in the PICC line and let us go back to our room we received a call from the Ambulatory Infusion Center. The radiologist looked at Lauren's chest x-ray and was not happy with the way the line curved at the end. Apparently it was too close to her heart. So they asked us to return immediately to have it repaired. I must admit this scared me a little, but I shouldn't have worried. They fixed it up and sent us on about our way. It was no big deal.

While we were in getting the PICC line we met another patient that is undergoing the same tests Lauren is. She was very nice. She ended up taking us around and showing us a few sites (she is local). Today was her birthday and we took her out to eat for dinner.

Lauren's PICC line is very sore. She feels like the tube is poking her. They said it is probably hitting exposed nerves which can be painful. She is icing the cut they made and taking pain medication. We hope it feels better by tomorrow.

We start more testing tonight (well technically tomorrow morning) starting at 12:00 a.m. She will test again at 12:30 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. and then 800 a.m. and noon (and so on and so forth). For the next 36 hours she will be testing around the clock. Sometimes it is just blood draws. Sometimes it is urine or salivary collections or stim tests.

Thanks for the prayers and nice notes. We love you all.

8 comments:

Momofthree said...

I hope you have a successful day today. I know Lauren is a very strong girl and will do just fine. I also know that you're a very strong MOM and will be there for Lauren.

Brooke came out yesterday and played. She played upstairs with Emily, played hide-and-seek, watched Sponge-Bob, etc. Dustin was probably a little bothersome to her just because he's 110% boy. At supper time, I finally told Dustin to LEAVE her alone because she doesn't have an annoying little brother at her house! Brooke's reply was, "Yea, but I do have an older annoying sister." She cracked me up.

Anyway, have a great day today. Tell Lauren I'm thinking about her. I'll give Brooke a hug for you at school today.

PS----have you made it to Canada yet? LOL

Momofthree said...

Another thing. Kacy set up a blog to keep everyone posted about Trey and Tyler.

Here's the link:

http://prayfortreyandtyler.blogspot.com/

You can also go to my blog and I set up a link on my blog links.

Llama Momma said...

I will pray.

Heather said...

It sounds like you both are being troopers. I hope her PICC line feels a little better tomorrow.

Jax said...

I am glad the testing is underway and bearable, I the PICC nestles in and stops acting a fool, tell it to stop "PICCing" on her and settle in already! TY for the udate, I have been wondering about you all. Tell Lauren and Mumsie hello and I love them. Oh yea...are you taking any pictures?
Of Lauren in an ICUr crack gown aka hospital gown?
Tell her I think it will be very blog worthy....or maybe thats just me LOL

Jax said...

UGH! ur dang comment section ate my word....I really said I HOPE the PICC nestles......blah blah

Tammie said...

luv you lauren

John Deere Mom said...

Good luck! Hope everything goes smoothly so you can get home soon.