Friday, December 28, 2007

Warning: Mushy Post Ahead

We were going through a drawer of old photos and keepsakes at Dave's parent's house and found this letter that Dave wrote:



That little sweet talker had quite a way with words didn't he? I really loved finding this note. It made my heart go pitter-pat. He was in the second grade when he wrote this, that is the same grade Brookie is in now. It's hard to imagine the boy he was back then. Somewhere along the way he lost most of the sweet talk (and the legible handwriting), but I know that in the heart of my big, tough man still lives that loving little boy. I can see it in the way he takes care of our girls. I can see it in the way he worries over the troubled students on his campus. I can hear it in his voice when he talks to his dad. I can feel it when he puts his arms around me.





I took this picture yesterday on the way home from my parents. I had been sleeping for quite some time (hours actually) and when I woke up I didn't say anything. I just lay there looking at him, my eyes hidden behind my shades. He was unshaven and rugged looking. He was so calm and at ease driving his car full of sleeping girls safely home. That's when it occurred to me that I don't need the sweet talking little boy inside him to tell me how he feels. He shows me every day in so many ways. Like when he checks every lock in the house before bed to make sure we are safe or when he kisses each of us goodbye before leaving for work in the mornings.



We've been married sixteen and a half years and I love the big lug even more now than I did at eighteen when we first wed.



And I think he is very, very, very, very pretty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...ewwwwwww mushy stuff! Just kidding! That is very sweet Christy! It is great that after all theese years you still find him very very very very pretty!

Jackie said...

and, when you've been married 50 years, you'll love him even more than today. It's a God-thing.

Sharon said...

I assume his mom noted that she had more verys than the teacher did! Sweet note, sweet memory.

I love to read things like this, where people remain committed and loving even after years of being married. So nice & refreshing.