Monday, December 10, 2007

Stressings


It was one of those days. If you're a mom you know exactly the kind of day I am talking about. It's the kind of day where nothing seems to go right. It could be anything from the alarm not going off, to the oatmeal burning, to the school calling and saying your child isn't wearing panties and that they were learning somersaults in P.E. (of course that's never happened to me), to the dog eating your new shoes. My version of a bad mommy day went something like this...


My oldest had to have a brain MRI done in a town about an hour and a half away. Actually I could stop right there. That's is more than enough stress for me. I hate it when she has these MRI's done. She is very brave about it, but she absolutely hates having that little cage put around her head and she hates the loud banging sounds even more. Just knowing she is anxious is enough to make me anxious too. Add icy road conditions to this already stressful trip and things just weren't looking like much fun. Of course I forged ahead and got everyone ready this morning.


This is the part where my youngest started throwing up. It wasn't just little, lady like throwing up. If there was an Olympic event for blowing chunks she would totally have a gold medal right now. So there I was torn about what to do. Did I reschedule an MRI that had already taken a few weeks to schedule or did I drag my poor sick baby out into the icy day? I opted for the dragging and off we went. Did I mention she was throwing up A LOT?? Every time she got sick she ended up saying she was starving. So I would feed her and then she'd get sick again (duh, what did I expect?). Suffice it to say it was a really long trip. Then we finally get there and they won't let me go back with my oldest because I have my youngest with me. I know she's 13 already, but she's still my baby and I wanted to be with her! She went back on her own and she did great (we don't have any results yet). Then I rushed home to get my youngest into the doctor and found out she has strep throat (blek). So off to the pharmacy and back home to prepare dinner.


When I have days like this I have to remind myself that I have just as many things to be thankful for as I do to whine about. I thank the Lord we made it there and back in one piece with no trouble from icy road conditions. I am thankful that Ren handled getting an IV without me and going through the MRI without me. I am thankful that cookie is already on antibiotics and well on her way to recovery. There are millions of children out there without access to doctors or medication and we are incredibly blessed to live in a country with access to both.


So when you see me again and my hair has all fallen out from stress just remind me to be thankful for the blessing of wigs and tell me to stop whining! See? Each time there is stress in life, there is also hidden blessings....put them together and you have stressings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man! Sounds like a rough day to say the least, but be very thankful it was not DIARRHEA too!!!
We have plenty of popsicles over here if you need them =-)

Momofthree said...

Wow, Christy what a day! I can totally relate to everything!! We should have called and talked on the phone yesterday b/c we would have solved many of the world's problems I'm sure!!

Here's how life at my house was similiar to yours: Last Friday morning, Emily came down with the lovely stomach virus. I was praying hard that she would have a quick recovery and that no one else would come down with it until after our playoff game on Saturday! God did answer that prayer. Well, in addition to that mess, my husband hurt his back on Saturday so he was at home all day Sunday and Monday hobbling around like he was in his 90's. Sunday afternoon, Dustin crawls up on the couch and falls asleep on his own....okay, he's a boy and THAT never happens! First sign that he was coming down with the lovely stomach virus! Sure enough.....he had it! The baby in the family had not slept well since Wednesday night, so I decided to take her to the dr. Monday morning during my conference period. Sure enough...she has fluid in both ears! Thank goodness that God doesn't allow time for moms to be SICK!!!!

Marty Devine said...

OK, you win. My first day back from vacation wasn't anywhere near that bad. I can deal with a thousand e-mails way better than cleaning up kid vomit.

Although I did handle a nasty kid bloody nose this morning very well, if I do say so myself!

Tammie said...

had a heck of a weekend myself...i'm just now able to exhale

joyfuljourney said...

Yep...Grant woke me up at 2:30 this morning because he had thrown up. Thankfully, I think it's just drainage in his throat that made him puke. But I assumed it was the lovely stomach bug that Dustin had shared.

On top of that, it's the first day of my period and I'm getting a nasty cold. All I want to do is curl up in a ball and sleep!

But, I remind myself all the time how blessed I am. I think about my precious friend whose son is battling cancer. Kinda puts things into perspective!

Anonymous said...

Oh Murphy's Law. I have those days too. Hope the rest of your week is better.

Vomit is the worse, even worse than poo or blood for me. Don't deal well at all with it, Sam usually handles that. So Brookie wouldn't have been with me. You're a good mama!