Sunday, March 9, 2008

If I had only known...

Last week after attending a Hawk Nelson concert I jokingly said my next purchase would be earplugs...or at least I thought I was joking. Apparently I wasn't. Cause being a big fan of deafness I decided to go to another concert. Only this time instead of sitting on the eighth row like some school girl pansy (no offense to any of the school girls out there...I think pansies are lovely) I sat on the second row...the second row on the FLOOR...mere inches from speakers almost as tall as I am.

I like to call them the speakers of deaf.

Eh? What's that you say? You think I'm cupid? Well that's a weird thing to say....Ohhh...you think I'm stupid. Sorry, I couldn't hear a word you were typing. You'll have to type louder now that I am deaf and all.


I went to the concert with Lauren and Jill and we knew we were in trouble when we saw that they were selling earplugs. Yes, that's right. They were selling earplugs at a concert.

Earplugs. At a concert. A concert by it's very design is meant to be heard. And they were selling earplugs. Am I the only one that finds that odd??


Anyway, we talked about moving to seats farther back, but how often do you get to be that close to one of your all time favorite bands?? And let me tell you something interpeeps...I do love me some Newsboys. And since I do love them we stayed on the second row, bought our earplugs and braced ourselves for the worst.


Then we didn't wear them. Do you know why we didn't wear them? Cause we are no pansy school girls, that's why. We rocked out with the row of college girls bouncing next to Jill all night. And we screamed. LOUDLY.

Okay. I screamed loudly, but Jill winced a lot so she was joining me in her own special way.

Know what else? We had the best time ever. EVER. It was such a good concert. From the first song of the opening act, Article One, to the last song played by Newsboys. Rush of Fools was there too and they are totally awesome. New Worldson was there as well and they had a really interesting sound and put on a really good show. And know who else was there?

God.


Oh yes interpeeps, you read that right. God came to that concert and I am sure everyone there felt His presence. It's been a long time since I was able to stand in a room with thousands of people all worshiping God together. Strangers worshiping side by side without fear or shame, but with unabashed joy. I almost forgot how good that felt. It's like a crumb fell from the table of Heaven and we all had us a sample and I don't mind telling you that it was finger lickin' good.

So was the music. If you ever want to see an unbelievably good Christian concert I would encourage you to go to a Newsboys concert. I have to say it was the best concert I've ever been to. (Please forgive me Harry Connick, Jr. You know I love you and I will forever itch to throw my panties at you when I see you, but I have to say these boys put on a better concert. Don't hate me).


When they first come out they enter one at a time behind a screens like this...






And it was SO cool. And then these confetti machines shot out confetti way up into the air and strobe lights came on. We were right under the confetti blower thingies and it looked like this...



And they had an awesome backdrop that looked like this (forgive my lousy phone pictures)...




OH! And the coolest thing ever is when the drummer is doing his drum solo and his pedestal starts to rise and THEN...it tilts ALL THE WAY FORWARD and spins and he keeps playing! That was so cool. Here he is when he first starts tilting....





And then after the concert Lauren met some band members from Article One. They are really, really nice and very talented. Plus the lead singer is quite worthy of having panties thrown at him himself (sorry Harry!)...









Now if you'll excuse me, I just heard a commercial for hearing aides. I better go call.


Or did they say cheering maids? Could have been hand grenades...or maybe tinted shades...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun! I do love the Newsboys, but I've never been to a concert. The idea of rocking out with so many people (in God's presence) is intriguing.

Glad your hearing is still intact :)

Jax said...

Lauren's hair looks so cute! She's has been blessed with great hair! You go Mama....rocking out at concerts....I hope I am willing to do that with Hoss/Braxty-boy someday....gramted they would let me go with them! =-)