Thursday, April 24, 2008

Apparently what's good for the farms, ain't so good for me

Last night the girls and I decorated the teacher's lounge for a little baby shower for our sweet school nurse. As we were leaving the school I opened the door and was greeted with the refreshing smell of recent rain. I smiled and said, "Oh yay! It rained. That is good news for the farmers." Brookie stopped walking, looked up at me, and said, "yeah, but it's not so good for your hair."

You can see what the priorities are in my household.

1. Mom's hair
2. Rain to nourish the crops
3. World hunger

Right. As long as my hair stays up there at number one we are doing A-OK.

Speaking of my hair, yesterday in a fourth grade reading group I had the children writing facts and opinions on dry erase boards. I told them to write a fact about me. One sweet little girl wrote, "Mrs. S has blonde hair," and then she wrote in parenthesis, "No offense." No offense??? Me thinks perhaps I should have been offended, but I am not sure why.

I guess I am just too blonde to figure it out.

And now that my hair and it's blonde attributes have been thoroughly covered (I know ya'll were all on the edge of your chairs reading that exciting stuff) I will give you a quick update on me and my world.

Because, you know, we've already established it's all about me (and good hair days).

Before I dive into the scoop about Lauren let me give a shout out to Brookie who couldn't be left out of the fun here at Camp Stress Mom Out. She hasn't been feeling so great for the past few weeks. It has never been anything really specific. She just says, "Mom, I don't feel good." When I ask what's wrong I get something like, "I just feel funny." Yeah. Doctors are great a diagnosing that. I pretty much chalked it up to needing a little of the attention we were dishing out to Lauren and loved on her and then went on my way. Well, about a week ago she got a little more specific and mentioned it burned when she went to the bathroom. I decided to run her by the clinic. If nothing else at least she'd know I cared. I think she was getting annoyed that I hadn't rushed her off to the doctor and I'd taken Lauren approximately 1,993,204 times.

So I took her in and they did a quick urinalysis for me and although she didn't have a bladder infection, she did have protein in her urine. No big deal, just come back in a week and do it again. We went back in a week (that was yesterday) and there it was again, protein. Suddenly it was a big deal. We go to a pediatric urologist on May 5. I'm sure it's nothing, but I am a little freaked out by it because that is just how I roll. I freak.

Let the freak times roll.

As for Lauren, well, it's a long story. She is going to go to Seattle to see Dr. Ludlam. He is a really well known endocrinologist that specializes in Complex Cushings. People come from all over the world to see him. We had a phone consult with him last week and I sent an email ahead of time showing pictures of Lauren's stretch marks, hump and red face (during a spell). I also sent some test results, a medical history time-line and a list of symptoms. He told me on the phone that he already thinks she has Cushings, he is just going to help us prove it so we can get her better. I'm all for getting that child better. She's been through enough.

So basically we'll go to Seattle for a week. She'll stay at the hospital there. They put in a picc line (or however it's spelled) and run a whole heck of a lot of tests. Then we come home and run a heck of a lot more. This is a very difficult disease to diagnose.

I'll let you all know when we are going as soon as I know. They are working on the logistics and will call as soon as things are set up.

Gotta finish getting ready for work now.

Peace, love and good hair days to you all.

2 comments:

Jax said...

WOW...I'd say Camp Stress Mom Out....you need a care package sent?? Like LOADS of chocolate???? I hope you guys have a good trip to Seattle, this Dr. will be able to answer all your questions....I have to write questions down...bc I always get nervous and forget...lol

Anonymous said...

On the bright side, Seattle is a pretty cool place. I've been there five times, so I know. If you have any time at all, take the drive to Mt. Rainier (Sunrise entrance) and drive to the top of the world; you will love it, and it will lift your spirits.

Thanks for the update. You are all in my prayers...