Saturday, August 23, 2008

Then and Now

The other night we watched a special America's Funniest Home Videos that contained all the very best clips from days gone by. Boy howdy did that bring back memories. When Dave and I were dating we had this routine that included that show. He lived hours away so when he came to see me he stayed the entire weekend. He'd sleep in my little brother's room. I'd sleep in my room. My Dad would sleep in the hall with a gun. It was all very innocent I can assure you.

Thanks Dad.

When I said we were 'dating' I was using the term loosely. He'd come down on Friday and stay until Sunday, but the only time we'd leave my house usually was to go to church. I think we saw two movies in the two years we dated and ate out...oh, maybe four times. I'm not sure why. I know he'd have taken me out if I'd asked, but we were just really very content to be together. It didn't matter where. So we spent most of our time hanging out with either my family or his.

Anyway, back to the routine. Dave is a very anal organized so he had a schedule for his visits. He would ALWAYS leave right after America's Funniest Home Videos on Sunday night. Of course I knew this so as soon as it came on I would start to cry. I didn't mean to, it just always happened. I didn't want him to leave me. This was back in the stone ages before nonstop texting and emails made long distance relationships easier. (We actually wrote letters to each other. By Hand. Gasp!) So while we watched my favorite show I'd sit laughing and crying and laughing some more. It was always a bittersweet time.

Fast forward to the present (that's about a twenty year leap for those of you playing along at home). When we were watching the show the other night it showed many of the clips that we remembered from the 'old' days. A lot has changed over the years, but one thing apparently hasn't changed. I still leak when I watch that show.

Only it's not from my eyes anymore.

I shouldn't admit this, but you know me, I have no shame. I kid you not people, when we watched that special I had to go change my panties not once, but twice. That is so ridiculous. I don't feel that much older (but apparently my bladder does). And I know I've had two babies, but seriously, TWICE? That's just not right.

Of course it was cracking Dave up that I had the laughing dribbles. I didn't find it quite so funny. I couldn't help but try to imagine how he would have reacted to that twenty years ago. I figure he'd have got in his truck and drove off without ever looking back. But now, after years of trials and celebrations, he just laughed at with me and he didn't even think about running away.

I don't think.

Of course my Daddy DID teach me how to use that gun.

3 comments:

Jax said...

Welcome to the "OMG my body is acting like my Mothers Club!" I want to be in the "OMG my body is acting like Grannys Club" She never had a grey hair nor did she ever say "Oh crap, I just peed a little" Of course your mom doesn't have near as much grey as my mother, she has been clutching that white hair around since she was 25, now you know why the beauty shop is second on my list of favorite places to go, course Wal-mart currently has the number one spot, only bc those are the only places I go besides work!

Anonymous said...

It used to be, "I laughed so hard I cried", now, "I laughed so hard that I peed on myself"! Oh how the years have changed us!

Jackie said...

Well, dear girl. You ain't seen nuttin yet! Just wait until you're 68!